Two of the main ways in which has been supporting this theme, under the aegis of the Race and Ethnicity Study Group and our academic co-ordinators, has been through events and publications. Below are links to further details from the main C-SAP website.
Where possible, outcomes from these events will be published in some form through C-SAP, either as a separate publication, web report, or within our forthcoming online journal ELiSS.
- 'Racing Forward' Workshop, 1 February 2008 - link here
- Teaching Race Workshop, 28 September 2007 - link here
- Teaching Race and Ethnicity as Part of Citizenship Education, 27 September 2007 - link here
- BSA/C-SAP study group, 9 February 2007 - link here
- Teaching Race In Higher Education Social Sciences, 27 to 28 June 2006 - link here
We produced a collection of papers and reflections from the event, this was distributed to our departmental links and is also available to download as a PDF document. Contributing authors include:
- Charles Lemert (Wesleyan University, Connecticut)
- Mark Christian (Miami University, Ohio)
- Andrew Pilkington and Judith Ackroyd (University of Northampton)
- Stephen Spencer (Sheffield Hallam University)
- Shirin Housee (University of Wolverhampton)
- Kevin Hylton (Leeds Metropolitan University)
- Learning, Teaching, and Assessment of 'Race' and Ethnicity in the Higher Education Curriculum, 19 November 2004 - link here
As part of our ongoing research into teaching and learning within the social science disciplines, C-SAP has maintained an interest in publishing scholarly monographs. So far, three of these have been based on the theme of teaching race and ethnicity, and the links below take you to the monographs section in the main C-SAP website. Most of the individual chapters are available to download, otherwise you are welcome to request a free copy using the feedback page.
- Pedagogies of Teaching Race and Ethnicity in Higher Education: British and European Experiences, edited by Susie Jacobs - link here
- Reflections on Practice: Teaching ‘Race’ & Ethnicity in Further and Higher Education, edited by Stephen Spencer and Malcolm Todd - link here
- Teaching Race in Social Sciences, edited by Max Farrar and Malcolm Todd - link here